“Wild rumours” force Philippines to block workers heading to Qatar

 06 Jun 2017 - 14:16

“Wild rumours” force Philippines to block workers heading to Qatar
(file Photo) Passengers of Philippine Airlines (PAL) wait for their flights at the lobby of Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) in Manila. REUTERS/CHERYL RAVELO

Reuters

MANILA: The Philippines has temporarily blocked Filipinos from travelling to Qatar for work because of the possible “ripple effects” of several Arab powers breaking off diplomatic ties with Doha and “wild rumours” of what’s happening there.

Qatar Cabinet and ministries have reassured resident that normal life will continue and there will not be any shortage or problems with movement or imports.

Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello said the ban would be in place until the government has completed its assessment.

“I temporarily suspend the deployment of our OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) in the county of Qatar. This is for us to be able to assess the situation because there are so many wild rumours going around,” Bello said in a statement on Tuesday.

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain severed diplomatic relations with Qatar in a coordinated move.

Qatar Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in statement that “The decisions made by three countries to sever ties with Qatar will not affect the citizens and residents and the government has taken all necessary measures to guarantee the normal course of life and prevent any impact from the consequences.”

More than 2 million people from the Philippines are working in the Middle East as domestic helpers, construction workers, engineers and nurses, with Qatar hosting 250,000 and Saudi Arabia hosting almost a million.

Filipinos working in the Middle East sent home $7.6 billion in remittances in 2016, making the region a major source of foreign exchange inflows which help drive one of Asia’s fastest growing economies.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesman said the government was concerned about the possible “ripple effects” of the Arab-Qatar rift on its workers abroad.

“Concerned government agencies are looking at the matter and will extend assistance and other support for OFWs who may be affected by such action,” Ernesto Abella told a media briefing.

The Philippines is one of the world’s largest recipients of remittances. For the whole of 2017, the central bank expects remittances to grow 4 percent from last year’s $26.9 billion, which was equal to around 10 percent of gross domestic product.

Related News

arrow Read More
Qatar's main strategy is to settle disputes through dialogue: FM

 06 Jun 2017 - 8:11

In an interview with Al Jazeera late last night Minister of Foreign Affairs H E Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said Qatar’s strategic option is to settle any dispute through dialogue. 

arrow Read More
Qatar is a sovereign state and will never accept guardianship from anyone

 06 Jun 2017 - 7:51

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the State of Qatar expressed deep regret over the decision of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and the Kingdom of Bahrain to close their borders and airspace and cut off diplomatic relations. Such measures are unjustified and are based on baseless and unfounded allegations.