Claims panel gets 44 more complaints

 07 Oct 2017 - 1:41

Claims panel  gets 44 more complaints
A Committee official receives a citizen’s complaint.

By Sidi Mohamed / The Peninsula

The Compensation Claims Committee last week received 44 more complaints from Qatari students who were barred from completing their studies in Egypt, an official at the committee said.
“Last week, we received 44 Qatari students who visited the committee to register their complaints against Egypt. The students had completed their studies expect one semester and their visa applications were rejected,” he added.
Last Tuesday, the Qatar National Human Rights Committee (QNHRC) said in a statement that some 190 Qatari students were prevented from continuing their education in Egypt due to the new conditions set for getting entry visas.
The QNHRC noted that it has received complaints from 90 Qatari students who approached the committee complaining about the new measures taken by the Egyptian authority to force them to discontinue their education in Egyptian universities.
Additionally, the committee also received 65 different complaints from people affected by the blockade. Some of these complaints are from people who lost their properties like apartments, villas and plots of land in siege countries and some of them lost their livestock in Saudi Arabia and were prevented from bringing them back. The statistics show that the livestock stuck in Saudi Arabia are more than 22,000 camels and other livestock.
The committee was established to protect the people’s rights. The official said: “The committee has so far received more than 6,600 complaints from both citizens and residents, and some of these complaints were received from the National Human Rights Committee (NHRC)”. “All the complaints we have received have been transferred to the international law firms,” he noted.
The committee, formed on July 9 this year, is still receiving complaints at the committee headquarters at the Doha Exhibition and Convention Center.
Qatar Chamber receives companies’ complaints and it has so far transferred 300 complaints to the Compensation Claims Committee and is working to transfer other cases which are around 1,000. Companies working in Qatar from Arab countries have already filed their complaints at Qatar Chamber.
The siege, which was imposed on Qatar on June 5 by three GCC countries, has violated the rights of people to travel, their right to education, work, and residency and also separated families. Some people were also not able to perform Haj and Umrah.
The committee is chaired by the Attorney General and includes representatives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Justice as members with the possibility of coordination with several bodies in the State.