Sting's Paris Batalcan concert sells out within hour

 08 Nov 2016 - 15:00

Sting's Paris Batalcan concert sells out within hour
(FILES) This file photo taken on July 20, 2015 shows British musician and singer-songwriter Sting performing during a concert at the Ampitheatre of Nimes (Arenes de Nimes) in the French southern city of Nimes. British rock star Sting will re-open Paris' Bataclan concert hall on November 12, a day before the anniversary of the jihadist attacks that left 90 people dead there, the venue's owner said on November 4, 2016. The former frontman of The Police confirmed the announcement by Lagardere Unlimited Live Entertainment, saying in a statement on his website: "In re-opening the Bataclan, we have two important tasks to reconcile. "First, to remember and honour those who lost their lives in the attack a year ago, and second to celebrate the life and the music that this historic theatre represents." / AFP / SYLVAIN THOMAS

AFP

Paris: British singer Sting's concert to reopen the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, where 90 people died in a jihadist attack last year, sold out within an hour Tuesday.

Tickets were put on sale for Saturday's concert, ahead of Sunday's anniversary of the massacre, at 10 am (0900 GMT). 

Less than an hour later the Bataclan's website announced that "all the seats for the Sting concert have been sold".

The venue's owners Lagardere Live Entertainment said the survivors of the November 13, 2015 attack as well as their families had been invited to the concert.

(FILES) This file photo taken on October 27, 2016 in Paris shows new lettering (R) on the facade of the "Bataclan" concert hall, one of the targets of the November 13, 2015 terrorist attacks during which 130 people were killed and another 413 were wounded. AFP / MARTIN BUREAU

 

A total of 130 people died in a wave of gun and suicide bomb attacks on the French capital that night.

Sting, who only agreed in September to do the concert, played the legendary venue in 1979 when he was lead singer of The Police.

The 65-year-old star said he would donate all the proceeds of the concert to two charities set to help survivors.

His new album "57th & 9th" is being released on the eve of the Bataclan concert.

The venue will remain closed on the anniversary of the attacks, the owners said, when a plaque to commemorate the victims will be unveiled outside.