Top IS commanders dead in Syria: Russia

 09 Sep 2017 - 1:29

Top IS commanders dead in Syria: Russia
Syrian government forces gesture and inspect the site as they arrive at a destroyed bridge on a road between the Kabajeb and Al Shula on the southwestern outskirts of Deir Ezzor, yesterday.

AFP

Moscow:  Russia claimed yesterday to have killed several top commanders of the Islamic State group in an air strike in Syria, including the US-trained “minister of war” who has a $3m bounty on his head.
“As a result of a precision air strike of the Russian air forces in the vicinity of Deir Ezzor city, a command post, some 40 ISIS fighters have been killed,” the Russian defence ministry said in a statement posted on Facebook.
“According to confirmed data, among the killed fighters are four influential field commanders including Deir Ezzor emir Abu Mohammed Al Shimali,” the ministry said.
Gulmurod Khalimov, who is known as the IS group’s minister of war and the highest-ranking defector from ex-Soviet Tajikistan, suffered a “fatal injury,” it added.
Reports of Khalimov’s death have surfaced before, and the Tajik interior ministry said it could not immediately confirm the claim. “We are working with our Russian colleagues to obtain reliable information,” a spokesman said. But a spokesman for the Tajik security services, speaking to AFP, suggested that “this time around” he might have been killed.
“We’re checking the information,” he said. In 2016, the United States offered a $3m bounty for information leading to Khalimov’s location or arrest.
Russia’s SU warplanes dropped “bunker buster” bombs on the fighters as they were meeting near Deir Ezzor to discuss how to respond to the advance of the Syrian army, Moscow said. Backed by Russia, Syrian troops on Tuesday broke through a years-long siege imposed by IS militants on tens of thousands of civilians in Deir Ezzor.
The Times reported in April that Khalimov, described as the highest-ranking IS commander in Mosul, had been killed in an airstrike. The trained sniper and former colonel, he was apparently wounded in 2015 but survived.
He headed the Tajik interior ministry’s special forces unit and received American training before joining IS in 2015, pledging allegiance to the jihadist group in a video released in May 2015. In the footage he warned that he and other IS recruits based in the Middle East were “coming” for top officials in the mainly Muslim Tajikistan, including long-ruling President Emomali Rakhmon.
The high-profile defection rocked the country. Last year, his second wife, herself a former interior ministry official, fled Tajikistan with her three young children to join Khalimov in Syria. The Syrian government has denied a UN report accusing it of a sarin attack in April that killed scores of people, state media said yesterday.
Damascus sent the United Nations a letter “asserting that Syria has not and will not use toxic gases against its people because it does not have them in the first place”, state news agency SANA said.
UN war crimes investigators said this week that Syrian forces have used chemical weapons more than two dozen times during the six-year conflict.The UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria said a government warplane dropped sarin on Khan Sheikhoun in insurgent-held Idlib province in April, killing more than 80 civilians. The attack prompted a US missile strike on a Syrian government air base.