Death toll in Philippines quake rises to 8 as aftershocks continue

 13 Feb 2017 - 11:30

Death toll in Philippines quake rises to 8 as aftershocks continue
A motorcyclist rides around an asphalt road, which was damaged after a 6.5-magnitude earthquake struck overnight, in Surigao City in southern island of Mindanao on February 11, 2017. Rescuers dug through rubble on February 11 to find survivors after a powerful earthquake struck the southern Philippines, killing at least four people and sending thousands fleeing for safety. / AFP / ERWIN MASCARINAS.

QNA

Manila: The number of people killed in the magnitude-6.7earthquake that struck late last week in a southern Philippines province climbed to eight Monday, as aftershocks continued to terrify residents, officials said.

Two more people died in a hospital in Davao City, Surigao del Norte Vice Governor Arturo Carlos Egay Jr said. More than 200 people were injured in Friday's quake.

Meanwhile, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) recorded a magnitude-4.1 aftershock early Monday morning, about 28 kilometres north-east of Surigao City. 

The aftershock sent terrified residents fleeing to evacuation centres, fearing that their damaged houses would collapse or that a tsunami would hit the coastal city.

Since Friday, Phivolcs recorded more than 130 aftershocks in Surigao, with the strongest, a magnitude-4.9 tremor, felt Saturday.

Search and rescue operations in quake-hit areas were halted because all residents were accounted for, officials said. Operations have shifted to rehabilitation and damage assessment.

The Surigao City government said the quake damaged more than 1,400 houses. Power has been partially restored in the city, but the water supply remained a problem.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who visited Surigao City on Sunday, pledged 40 million dollars for relief and rehabilitation.

A military transport plane arrived Sunday with generator sets, solar lamps, food packs, mosquito nets and blankets.