24 May 2017 - 19:27
Those responsible for hacking the official website of Qatar News Agency (QNA) will be traced and prosecuted, Qatar Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
03 Jun 2017 - 8:10
Doha: The FBI is helping Qatar investigate the source of an alleged "hack" of state media, a source with knowledge of the probe said yesterday.
An FBI team has been in Doha for the past week after the Qatari government asked for US help following the claim of an unprecedented security breach by hackers last month, the source said. "American support was requested and a team sent which has been in Doha since last Friday, working with Qatar's interior ministry," the source said. Two other unnamed countries are also helping with the probe.
The results of the investigation could be released as early as next week. Qatar has said it would publicly announce the results of the investigation.
Doha launched the probe after accusing hackers of publishing false and explosive remarks attributed to Emir H H Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani on the Qatar News Agency website last month.
Doha has denied all the comments and said it had been the victim of a "shameful cybercrime". Qatar said it had been the victim of a hostile media campaign, particularly in the US over the issue of its supposed support for Islamist groups. Qatar has so far given no indication of where the alleged cyber attack, which happened on May 24, originated.
Qatari broadcasters and websites were blocked in several countries after the alleged comments were reported.