Ritz-Carlton to re-open after holding royals in Saudi purge

 15 Jan 2018 - 14:50

Ritz-Carlton to re-open after holding royals in Saudi purge
(FILES) This file photo taken on May 21, 2017 shows the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in the Saudi capital Riyadh. Saudi Ritz-Carlton to re-open after holding royals in govt purge: sources / AFP / GIUSEPPE CACACE

AFP

Riyadh: The Ritz-Carlton in Riyadh, a holding place of royals and ministers detained in a sweeping Saudi corruption probe, will re-open for business in February, a source at the hotel said Monday.

The source, who requested anonymity as he was not authorised to brief the press, said there were "preparations to open in February" but could not give further details. 

The Ritz-Carlton website was listing rooms as available from February 14.

The hotel has been closed for bookings since early November, when more than 200 princes, ministers and businessmen were rounded up in an anti-corruption purge. 

Most of them have since been held at the palatial building.

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the 32-year-old son of the king, has reportedly spearheaded the crackdown on corruption among members of the government and royal family, as he consolidates his grip on power in the kingdom.

The most high-profile target of the crackdown was billionaire Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, dubbed the Warren Buffett of Saudi Arabia.

The country's attorney general has said most of those detained struck monetary settlements in exchange for their freedom.

Related News

arrow Read More
Saudi Arabia begins screening films after decades-long ban lifted

 15 Jan 2018 - 10:48

The first permanent theatres could open as early as March, part of a liberalising reform drive that has already opened the door to concerts, comedy shows and women drivers over the past year.

arrow Read More
Saudi Prince Alwaleed in settlement talks with government -sources

 14 Jan 2018 - 11:14

Saudi Arabia's billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, detained for over two months in an anti-corruption crackdown, is negotiating a possible settlement with authorities but so far has not agreed on terms, a senior Saudi official said.